Wednesday, December 26, 2012

First Post-Baby Run

I went running for the first time since Alison was born yesterday (Merry Christmas to me!). Well, actually it was my first run since about May, when I came to the conclusion that running and being pregnant made for a really, really tired Karen.  So I quit running and took more naps.  It was much better for everyone involved. 

Yesterday my baby turned 6 weeks old (sniff, sniff, how did that go so fast?!?!), I was feeling somewhat rested, and I decided that I could wait no more, and was going to go for a quick little jog around the neighborhood.  I charged up the Garmin, wore running shorts for their actual purpose, laced up my shoes, and headed out the door. 

I decided to be reasonable, and just run one lap around the neighborhood, which is a little less than 1.5 miles.  It felt wonderful and awful all at the same time.  So great to finally be running again, and awful cause my muscles and lungs have not worked that hard in quite a while. 

When I got home I uploaded my run, and started to analyze all the stats.  My average moving pace was 11:47 per mile, and I only ran 1.4 miles.  I looked back at my last run pre-pregnancy, which was with the jogging stroller and my pace was 9:22 per mile.  Apparently pregnancy will set you back a few minutes. 

I remember my first run after Zack was born.  I felt like my pelvis was going to break in half, and I kept peeing my pants.  Yesterday my pelvis didn't feel great, but I surely didn't think it was going to break in half....and I only peed my pants a little bit.  Kegels anyone???

Later in the afternoon, my legs felt like jello....similar to how they feel after running 10+ miles.  Today I'm all kinds of sore.  My hips, quads, calves etc, all feel like I gave them quite the workout.  Even my abs are sore!  And I didn't even run 2 miles! 

And so, my comeback begins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment