Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Little Hooligan

Phrases recently heard in our house:


Zack, we don't color on the dog.
We sit on the couch, Zack.
Zack, don't chew on the cabinet.
No standing on the couch, Zack.
We don't run in the street, Zack.
Zack, sit down on the couch.
Stay on the sidewalk, Zack.
Zack, no feeding Walter.
We don't climb on the walls, Zack.
No climbing on your crib.
Sit down on the couch.
We don't play in the street, Zack.
Be gentle with Walter.
We don't hit mommy.
Zack, we don't throw food.
Be gentle with mommy.
Finger out of your nose, Zack.

And one that needs to be added, Zack, we don't color on the floor and walls in the church nursery.


Zack's response-giggle, giggle, giggle! On occasion he will shake his head no at me when I catch him throwing food to the dog. He's cute and he knows it. He also hears "I love you" close to 84 million times a day, and is showered with hugs and kisses until he is blue in the face. Maybe if we weren't so adoring of him, he wouldn't feel so comfortable being such a goof.

Thankfully, many of the things he is doing are normal, developmental tasks, and we don't need to fear that we truly are raising a hooligan. And, he's so cute! Even when he's being "rotten." We can't help but love him.

The task of raising a child is a big one, and some days it seems much bigger than other days. The task of raising a child who will honor God is an even bigger task. I want Zack to have good manners, not color the dog, and simply eat his lunch. But I deeply desire for him to love God. Of course, I have no control over him and his relationship with God. There are things I can do to help cultivate this relationship, however. The biggest thing both James and I can do is be an example of what it looks like to be a person who loves God, and follows His ways. Not a small task at all.

Thankfully we are not alone in this. We've got lots of friends who are raising children, and they have the same desires we have. And, we go to BSF, where Zack is taught a lesson on his level (as much as you can teach a 1 year old). They also give me great resources on how to teach children to pray, and about setting rules up for the home, etc. And, we've got people at our church who will help raise Zack up to know the Lord. And I can't forget the power of prayer!

I am so thankful for my little hooligan, and all of the antics that come along with raising him. I am thankful that God picked James and I to be his parents. We truly are blessed! I hope and pray that James and I will be the best parents we can be, and that we can be good examples of someone who loves God.

No comments:

Post a Comment