Monday, October 1, 2012

Planning My Comeback

I'm officially planning my comeback. 

It all started last week when James forwarded me an email about a price increase for the Oro Valley half marathon (well, really the Arizona Distance Classic, but I prefer to call it the OV half).  The price would be increasing on September 30th. 

James simply wrote "This is all you" which I take to mean as "I'll watch the kids, run wifey run!"  But really, my sweet wonderful husband knows how much I've missed being able to run, and how much I love to compete. 

So, I registered for the quarter marathon race yesterday.  It's at the end of March.  I'm hoping this will be enough time to get my body ready to run 6.5ish miles.  It will at least give me a reason to get out and run (other than for my own sanity).  I decided on the quarter marathon for a couple of reasons.  One being that it's a distance I've never ran before, therefore no matter what time I get it will be my best time ever for a quarter marathon.  Another being I know that a half marathon will be too far for me to run well at that point, and I don't want to be ticked off at myself for a week because I ran the slowest half marathon of my life.  A logical person might say, "but this will be less than 6 months after having a baby."  I'm too competitive with myself to be logical like that.

I'm thinking that I will be getting back into running in January, this should be after my 6 weeks of taking it easy post childbirth.  And let me tell you, I plan to take it easy.  At least as easy as a mom of a newborn and a 2 year old can take it. 

I think the month of January will be dedicated to being able to run a full mile without stopping.  Oh, it's going to be slow.  And it will hurt.  Then I'll use February and March to work on ramping up my mileage to a full 7 or maybe even 8 miles. 

And I'm sure every single step of the way I'll be thinking to myself, "why did I think this was a good idea????"

No comments:

Post a Comment