Saturday, February 23, 2013

What Was I Thinking?!?! And, some progress

Back in September, when I was 100 years pregnant, not running, and eating every 30 minutes, I went ahead and registered myself to run a quarter marathon at the end of March (read about it here).  At the time it seemed like a pretty good, and only somewhat wild, idea.  The run is in 4 weeks. And it's officially a wild idea.  Seriously, what was I thinking?!?!  I'm still sooooooo out of shape!! 

Well, I was thinking that I would be able to head out for a run in the afternoon, a few days a week.  Sadly, our double jogging stroller sits in the garage, waiting for it's maiden voyage....and a car seat adapter that is compatible with our car seat.  Said car seat adapter was supposed to be released in September of 2012, only to be pushed back to November of 2012, which was then pushed back to February of 2013.  February 18, 2013, to be exact.  Well, February 18th has come and gone, and I have yet to find a place that is selling this adapter.  I stalk REI and BOB's website on daily basis.  Once we do finally acquire this lovely adapter, we will see how little Miss Alison does in her car seat, in the stroller.  She generally wails when we place her in the dreaded car seat.  It makes for some joy filled car rides. 

So, with the lack of a double jogging stroller, I am unable to simply head out the door for a quick afternoon run.  (Never mind the fact that I have 2 children, and I will never again "simply head out the door" when I've got both of them tagging along.)  I could hop on the treadmill, but if both kids are asleep, at the same time, I don't dare hop on for a quick jog simply out of fear of waking Alison, who is still sleeping in the master bedroom, which is where the treadmill resides. 

Thankfully I have a wonderfully supportive husband (who did, by the way, suggest I do this race).  When he comes home he is more than willing to watch/wrangle both kids while I go pop off 3 quick miles.  Only I no longer "pop off 3 quick miles."  I drag my feet and suck wind for 3 miles. 

Today, during nap time, I went out for my "long run."  Long being 4 miles.  I managed to run 4.15 miles in about 44 minutes.  My average moving pace (seriously, I LOVE my garmin) was 10:23, per mile.  I compared this to my first run after Alison was born.  In that run my pace was 11:47, for less than 2 miles.  I was encouraged to see that I've made a ton of progress. 

I'm still not all that confident about the actual race.  I know I will eventually finish it.  And I'll probably finish it wearing a sparkly running skirt that will make me feel super fast.  But it's not gonna be pretty!  (well, the skirt will be, but my running won't.)  And poor Alexis, she is probably going to have to walk in order to keep up with my pace! 

Baby steps...slow and steady isn't going to actually win this upcoming race, but it surely will finish!! 

1 comment: