Today, not only was I a friendly runner, I was also a fast runner. An incredibly fast runner. I typically say hi to every single person I see when I am out running. And, when I'm running in the neighborhood (like I was today), I run a couple of laps around a big loop. When I do this I generally see the same people more than once, so I say hi to them more than once. I even say hi to their dogs.
Today I decided to run my typical route in reverse. I don't generally like going this way because I feel like it's steeper than going the other way. So, I run for a bit, then take a stretch break. As I am finishing up my stretch break an older man comes jogging up behind me. I didn't want to start running right as he went by because I thought it might be awkward to jog a few laps around the neighborhood with an old man that I don't know. I walked a bit to let him get up ahead of me. When I started running again I could tell I was gaining on him. I was hoping to myself that he would be done soon, so I wouldn't have to run along side him. At one point he started walking, and I thought he was done for the day. Nope, just a water break, and a quick one. At this point I was right next to him, and we were coming up to a long hill. So, I kicked it into high gear, and Zack and I left him in our dust.
I continue on my merry way and when I'm on my last lap I see a lady in her motorized scooter out with her dog. They are up ahead of me, and on the other side of the road. I know you can see what's coming. Yup, I passed the lady on her motorized scooter. Those things are fast, you know. Surely they can get up to 15 MPH!
But that wasn't even the fast part of my run!! That was still to come. You see, an Olympic runner lives in our neighborhood. He's for real, a professional runner. His legs are probably as long as I am tall. The dude was made to run. We see him out running quite often, this morning he was probably out on an easy 10 mile jog. I see Abdi up ahead, and then, I just jog right on by him, saying hi as I go by. Yes, Karen the Friendly Runner ran past an Olympian. As James likes to tell me, "that's how it feels to be a champion."
Now, don't go thinking I'm all kinds of amazing for running past an Olympic runner. He was running the opposite direction, so"we ran past one another. But I really did pass the old man (on a hill, with a jogging stroller!) and I most assuredly did pass the lady in her scooter.
No comments:
Post a Comment