Thursday, November 17, 2011

Zack the Friendly Runner

Zack is becoming quite the friendly runner himself. He makes me so proud. Whenever we are out running, he does his best to outdo me and my friendliness. I smile and say hi to just about every person I run by. Zack has decided that the best way to brighten the day of those around him is by waving from the jogging stroller, and flashing a big smile. He does this to EVERY car that drives by, and greets nearly every pedestrian. He gets a far better reaction than I do. He has a gift for brightening the day of pretty much everyone who sees him. He certainly does brighten my days! The best waves are the ones when he actually reaches his arm out beyond the sun shade on the stroller. Those ones get a laugh from James and I, as well as the lucky recipient of his wave.

Last week he turned 18 months old. I'm not too sure how he is suddenly a year and a half old....it seems like just yesterday we brought him home from the hospital. But here we are, about to celebrate his second Thanksgiving and Christmas! He's been talking more and more and more everyday. Last month I was convinced he needed speech therapy, as he was really only saying 3 or so words. I had even looked up speech therapy services and was debating doing a self referral. Then, I had a rare rational moment, and decided to wait until his 18 month check up to see what his doctor recommended. Waiting was a good idea. He really does seem to pick up a new word every day, he probably has close to 20 words now. Yesterday's word was blue. He actually learned this one at the doctor's office, repeating "beuuuuu!" after the doctor. The doctor has no concerns with Zack's development, and neither does his mama!

Today, we were out running errands. As an effort to help keep Zack entertained in the car I ask him to repeat words after me. Today I asked him, "Zack, can you say Jesus?!" His response, "Geeeeesaaaaaas." I cried. I don't think I cried when he said "mama" for the first time, but something about hearing my little boy say the name of Jesus absolutely melted my heart. At the next stop light I tried texting James to tell him. I was so flustered and overcome with emotion that I kept spelling words incorrectly, and had to wait until we were parked to send him a text that would be readable.

There is so much power in the name of Jesus. There is no other name by which we are saved. Hearing Zack say Jesus made me realize this in a whole new way. There is nothing I long for more than for my son to know Jesus, and for him to call on his name. For now, I am going to get Zack to say Jesus as much as I possibly can. It thrills my heart to hear him say the name of the man who died for his sins, and who made it possible for him to spend eternity with God. I hope and pray James and I can be good examples of God's love, and look forward to the day Zack decides to follow Jesus himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment