Yesterday I ran 16 miles! At least that's what my husband tells me....
James is currently training for a marathon. I am not. I know my limits. Right now, a marathon is beyond those. In training for a half marathon I need a nap after going on a run over 10 miles. If I were to train for a marathon, I would need a nap after every single long run, cause I would be exhausted. If I were to spend every Saturday afternoon napping, then my house would be a mess, and I would be a crab. So, rather than training for, and running a marathon, I'm helping James with his training. Somehow my house is still a mess. Weird how that happens.
Yesterday James' training plan called for a 16 mile long run. He left the house around 9, and Zack and I met up with him at around 10:30, at the halfway point. When we met James he had already finished 8 miles (which is still a pretty long run, at least to me). He was a little tired, but feeling pretty good, and was excited to have our company. As we set out, James tells me that he doesn't know if he will be able to help push the jogging stroller. I am [mostly] ok with this. He has already completed 8 miles and another 8 will surely be exhausting. And, last year when he was pushing the jogging stroller a lot, he had bad form, and ended up with a bum knee, unable to run for what felt like forever. I didn't want to contribute to any sort of injury, so I press on, pushing Zack in the stroller.
At around mile 12 (for James, mile 4 for me) James starts to become loopy. He begins telling me that he really appreciates me pushing the stroller, and that running 8 miles with the jogging stroller is the same as running 16 miles without it. He tells me that I too, am running 16 miles. Then he gets really loopy. He begins to tell me that he now knows what it feels like to give birth, because running 16 miles is the equivalent to how one feels after giving birth. By the end of the run he had explained to me how he had given birth to 3 coyotes, and was begging for my sympathy. However, I too had just completed 16 miles (remember, 8 miles+pushing jogging stroller=16 miles). I felt nothing like I had just given birth. In fact, I was feeling pretty good. My legs were a little tired, and I needed a shower, and was hungry, but I felt nothing like I did after giving birth.
Later in the afternoon James was explaining to me what it was like to try and breastfeed a new born after having a c-section, because that was how he was feeling.
I love that man. I can hardly wait until his 18 mile run. If it's anything like his 16 mile child birth experience, it's going to be quite the adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment