Sunday, November 11, 2012

40 Weeks Pregnant

I'm now 40 weeks pregnant.  A milestone that most people didn't think I would achieve, based mostly off the fact that this is my second child and Zack was a week early.  Therefore baby number two HAS to come early, right?  I've done my best not to get caught up in this assumption, which is a good thing.  Otherwise we would have one very grumpy Karen.  We surely do have a tired, and uncomfortable Karen, but overall, I'm not too grumpy.  And I think James would agree.  And even if he doesn't agree, he would say I'm nothing but wonderful. 

I have, however, come up with a list of the 10 best things to say to a woman who is 40+ weeks pregnant. 

1.  You look lovely!!  (While ignoring the fact that the bottom of my belly is hanging out of my shirt.  And also ignoring the fact that this shirt has stains on the belly.)

2.  Would you like some chocolate??

3.  Let me do this dishes, you just go sit on the couch.  (James has this one mastered, FYI)

4. 

5.
6.

7.

8.

9.

10. 

Ok, so maybe there are only a few acceptable things to say to a woman who has been pregnant for forever. 

But really, I haven't had too many insensitive comments.  I have wonderful friends who are all quite empathetic and hope for my sake that this baby comes soon.  Thankfully no one has suggested to me how to help get this baby out.  I'm quite efficient at doing a google search, and trust me, I've researched the ways to naturally induce labor.  And none of them seem like good options, nor do they seem to be effective.  If sitting on the couch and eating ice cream was a suggested method, I would be all over that, but I have yet to see that recommended. 

James, however, is getting all kinds of off the wall comments.  My two favorites are:  "Does your wife cry every day??" and "Does she yell at you a lot??"  The answer to both questions is no.  For being 100 years pregnant, I'm quite sane and rational.  I've cried a few times this pregnancy, but only due to things like watching Soul Surfer (seriously, I almost completely LOST it watching that movie), watching the Olympics, and trying to get a teething, out completely out of his mind 2 year old dressed and into a car seat.  And the only one getting yelled at in this house is Walter.  He's a stinky dog (a good reason to yell, right?) and finds it necessary to start kicking his food bowl every afternoon around 4pm.  And the never ending food bowl kicking gets me every time.  And the yelling has no effect on the beagle.  He just keeps kicking.  And on occasion howls.  And I just keep yelling at him until I give up and just feed the beagle. 

A couple of weeks ago I thought for sure this baby was going to be born soon.  I was having all kinds of contractions and "aggressively nesting."  As I've gotten closer to, and now almost past, my due date, I'm having fewer and fewer contractions, and my intense need to clean the house is dissipating (maybe cause there's nothing left to clean....).  Every night before bed, I used to tell James "I'll wake you up when I'm in labor!"  Now I just tell him, "See ya in the morning, I'll still be pregnant!" or, "I'll wake you up if you are snoring."  I've even gone to bed a few nights in a row without having to have all of Zack's toys picked up.  I'm a rebel like that.   

I know that in God's perfect timing this baby will arrive.  And when he or she gets here, we will be over joyed.  Until then, James and I are doing our best to enjoy our last days as parents of just one child, and doing our best to spoil Zack and shower him with as much attention as we can before he becomes a big brother. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the agressive nesting. That's my favorite thing I've heard all day.

    ReplyDelete