Tucson has great running weather for about 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months are just plain miserable. With the lows barely making it into the upper 70s, it's just too hot to run. Even at 5am. Well, technically I don't know about running at 5am, but James did run at that way too early hour last week and said it was already hot. Yuck.
So, I'm stuck on the treadmill for the summer. And some days, I think it's too hot to run on the treadmill. We were generously given a treadmill that now takes up residence in our office. I'm not too sure why we call this room our "office." Maybe for the obvious reason of there is a desk in there. But the room is quickly becoming storage for all the furniture that Zack will hurt himself on (bar stools, coffee table, ottoman....who knows what will be next). Spiderweb.....Anyway, this "office" gets HOT in the mornings. The window faces east and the rising sun beats down on this room, raising the temperature close to the temperature that you would find in an Easy Bake Oven (85 degrees or so, I would guess). This morning while Zack napped I hopped on the treadmill to bust out 3 quick miles. I set the treadmill at 7.5 (8 minute miles) which is really a bit too fast, but I just wanted to be done as it's too hot to run, and I needed to run AND shower while Zack napped. I'm almost to the 2 mile mark when the treadmill has a moment and started speeding up on it's own. I first noticed that it was getting louder and then I noticed that my feet were running faster. I looked down and it was at 8.8. WHAT!?
I push the stop button and grab the handles and hop off the belt that is spinning faster and faster for no apparent reason. The treadmill comes to a stop and I just stare at it for a few seconds, catching my breath and drinking some water.
Then, I hop back on and finish my run.
I think I might start attaching that stop cord device to my shorts just in case the treadmill has another moment and decides to throw me off the back of it into all the furniture we've got stored up in that room. It would be awfully embarrassing to be thrown off the treadmill and have the paramedics come find a very sweaty me jumbled up with the coffee table and bar stools.
And, if you are laughing at the visual of me being thrown off the back of the treadmill, it's ok, I am laughing too.
No comments:
Post a Comment