Today I went to the doctor because my foot feels funny. It kinda hurts, but it doesn't really. It just feels "off," and it has felt this way since March. I was hoping I would wake up one day and have it feel normal. Not the case. I was also fairly certain that if I went to the doctor I would be told "you need to stop running" which would just make me sad sad sad. So, after months and months of denial, I went to the doctor.
I explained to him that my foot feels funny, and that I run (but not all that often right now cause it's 1million degrees out), but that running doesn't make it feel any worse than just standing makes it feel. I told him that I've googled every single running foot injury that one could come up with and I don't have any of those symptoms. So, he pokes my foot in 100 different places and says "now, this might hurt." I look at him the whole time with an expression that says "yeah, that doesn't hurt." He tells me that it doesn't appear that I've injured myself, makes no mention of needing to stop running, but does tell me that he thinks orthotics would be helpful.
HOLD THE FORT! Orthotics?! I'm only 29! I think I aged about 84 years while sitting there on that exam table.
I leave the doctor's office and text my running buddy Alexis. I tell her that I am now her ancient running buddy and my doctor is recommending orthotics. She laughs (it is kinda funny, you have to admit it) and tells me I look good for my age. I then proceed to send her a completely blank text message (seriously, who sends blank text messages?! OLD people!!).
I then did what all people my "age" do. I went to Dress Barn, bought a beautiful dress with a lovely floral patten (complete with shoulder pads), some high waisted pleated slacks (tapered ankle) and called the dentist to make an appointment to get dentures. I then went to the grocery store where I picked up some prunes and Ensure, along with some Fixodent for my dentures. Thankfully I already have a hair appointment next week. I have yet to decide if I will use brown or blue hair dye to cover up the gray hairs.
But really, I'm SUPER glad that I can continue to be Karen The Friendly Runner. Maybe now I will just be Karen the Friendly, Orthotic Wearing Runner. Or Karen the Old Lady Runner. The possibilities are endless.
No comments:
Post a Comment