Last week I managed to get up earlier than normal, and went on a couple of quick runs around the neighborhood before James had to leave for work. I head out the door right as the sun begins to peak out from behind the mountains. It's the PERFECT time of day to be outside.
Last week I was just jogging along, I had been out for about 3 minutes, when suddenly I hear snorting and grunting coming from the bushes nearby. I jump close to 20 feet straight up into the air, look to my left, and see 5 or 6 javelina staring right at me. I wish I had been wearing my heart rate monitor so that I could see how high my heart rate suddenly went. YIKES.
I continued on my run, on high alert, paying close attention to any and every noise that I heard. I had made it to the other side of the neighborhood only having an encounter with 1 chihuahua, which didn't scare me at all. My eagle eyes spotted a coyote meandering down the middle of the street, about 100 feet ahead. I was focused very intently on him, making sure he was heading back to the desert, and not towards me. I may have been a little bit too focused on this coyote, as I was once again startled. This time I only jumped 10 feet into the air. As I was making my descent from 10 feet off the ground, I looked over to my left, and saw a man in his driveway. He was putting what appeared to be his briefcase in the car, and had shut the door, scaring me half to death.
The remainder of the run was with out any more scares, despite the fact that I saw 2 more coyotes, a lady on a bicycle, a man walking his dog and 4 butterflies.
I've always thought that snakes were all I had to worry about while running in the desert....apparently not. The pigs are out to get me.
This little piggy went to the market. This little piggy stayed home. This little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none. This little piggy and his friends scared Karen half to death, and went laugh, snort, laugh, all the way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment