Yesterday I had a very domestic day. I made 2 loaves of bread, did at least 2 loads of laundry, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher, and successfully completed a sewing project that transformed one pair of jeans into one pair of maternity shorts. Then came time for dinner. I made a delicious frittata that involved putting the whole frying pan in the oven to set everything up. I took the pan out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes, just like the recipe told me to. I came back to the pan a few minutes later, and grabbed the handle just like I would normally grab the handle of the frying pan. Only this frying pan had just been in the oven, at 400 degrees, just a few minutes earlier.
Ouch.
I must have made some sort of funny noise because I sure did get James' attention.
I hung out at the kitchen sink for a good 5 minutes after that, holding my hand under the running water. The whole time I am, of course, holding my sweetie pie 2 year old who loves to tell his mama, "up, pease mama." I decided that 5 minutes of running water was enough, but as soon as I removed my hand from this water I was greeted by intense burning. Not fun. James got me a bowl of water which I soaked my hand in during dinner. It's quite challenging to eat left handed, mind you.
I continued to soak my hand in water all night. It was the only thing that brought me relief. When it came time for bed I was hopeful that I could just cover my hand in aloe and it would stop hurting. Sadly, this was not the case. I moved my already uncomfortable pregnant self out to the couch so that I could put a bowl of water on the coffee table and [somewhat] easily soak my hand while I attempted sleep (on my side, of course). I think I did manage to actually sleep with my hand in the water (and no, I didn't pee my pants like you are supposed to do a slumber parties when your friends put your hand in water). Around midnight or so I was able to wrap my hand in wet wash cloths and use an icepack rather than having to do the whole hand in the bowl method. When I woke up this morning my hand was no longer in the wash cloth, or anywhere near the ice pack, and I didn't feel like it was on fire.
I've got some crispy, blistery fingertips today, and the palm of my hand is quite red, but thankfully that's fading away, and it only hurts when it encounters a lot of pressure or heat. I've decided to relinquish all of my domestic duties for the day, maybe even through the weekend. We'll see how James feels about that.
I'm also going to go ahead and claim pregnancy brain on this one. If I was in my "normal" state of mind I don't think I would have grabbed the handle of a frying pan that had just come out of the oven. At least I hope not....
No comments:
Post a Comment