Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Strange Noises in the Night

Last night I slept on the couch. For the first time in close to 7 years of marriage, one of us was sent to the couch, and it was me. James wasn't feeling too hot yesterday (the bi-annual cookie toss, as he likes to call it). He went to work, but was home and in bed by 2pm. As soon as he told me he wasn't feeling well, I too came down with a paranoia induced stomach ache. I decided that it would probably be best if he stayed far, far away from Zack and I. He remained in our bedroom until Zack had gone to bed. Then he was permitted to move himself and his blankets and pillows to the middle of the living room, where he remained until he went to bed. While he was out of the bedroom, I went in and retrieved my overnight toiletries...I didn't want to use the same toothpaste as him! And our toothbrushes are right next to one another. Paranoid city over here. I also obsessively washed my hands, and drank some Airborne (which I think FRIED any virus that may have been lurking in my stomach, just waiting to get me sick).

James tucked himself into bed, and I attempted to tuck myself into the couch. I tossed and turned for a little while, and then around 11 I heard Zack complaining. His complaining got louder, and louder, and it appeared as though he wasn't going to stop. I went in his room to check on him and found a sad, sad boy. And, a sick, sick boy. He and I spent an hour together, getting new jammies, a little sponge bath for him, new sheets, a load of laundry, a call to the pediatrician's after hours number (I'm seriously paranoid! I had no idea what to do with a baby who was throwing up...thank God for the nurse who helped me out in the middle of the night!!), new jammies for me and I don't even remember what else. Finally, around midnight Zack was happy again and ready to sleep. I left him in his room, and went back to my post on the couch.

I had been back on the couch for about 5 minutes when I heard a strange buzzing/vibrating/sucking unidentified noise. I was thinking to myself "who now?? Is James sick?? What is going on??" After a few minutes of laying there and analyzing the noise, I identified it as none other than Walter. He had never left his post on the love seat, and now that the commotion was over, I could hear his snoring-middle-of-the-night-don't-bother-me-I'm-comfortable-and-breathing-deep beagle noises.

Thankfully today both James and Zack seem to be doing much better. Surprisingly, Walter is on the love seat making his snoring-middle-of-the-day-don't-bother-me-I'm-comfortable-and-breathing-deep beagle noises. It appears as though my OCD hand washing, Airborne taking, praying to not get sick self might escape this bug. Hooray for that. I'm hoping tonight I get to sleep in my own bed and don't hear any strange beagle noises. Or any other strange noises.

No comments:

Post a Comment