I knew he was going to eventually propose to me. We had been dating for almost 3 years, and we were about to finish up our junior year at the UofA. We had talked a lot about marriage and had decided that it would be good to get married after we graduated. James was planning on going to the Philippines for the majority of the summer in 2003, and I was really really really really really really hoping that he would ask me to marry him BEFORE he left...and not make a girl wait all summer long.
May 5, 2003 was a Monday. I don't know if I had class that day or not, but I do know that I worked that day. After work I decided to go home (I was living with my parents at that time) and I think James was probably going to be coming over that night. Well, when I got to my parents house I opened the garage door and found a rose along with a note (and I sure don't remember what it said...oops!) tied to the doorknob. Immediately I knew what was happening, and I was COMPLETELY shocked!! Who proposes on a Monday? And who proposes on Cinco de Mayo? James, that's who! I opened the door and followed a ribbon and some puzzle pieces all the way back to my room, where I found James, all decked out in his suit, waiting for me. By this time I'm already crying...he gets down on one knee, as asks me to marry him. I said yes before he even finished the question.
James had actually been in the process of asking me to marry him since Christmas 2002, and really, since before then. One summer (2001 or 2002?? I can't remember which) we were in Vegas and went on a fancy dinner date with Marlo and Jason. James pretended like he was proposing to me, and had Marlo take a picture of us posing for this fake proposal. He had this picture turned into a puzzle, and he had been giving me puzzle pieces since Christmas 2002. When he proposed, I got the last 4 pieces, which said "will you marry me?". After we were done being all teary eyed I got dressed up and we went out to dinner at Anthony's. YUM!
Fast forward to Cinco de Mayo 2011. In the middle of the day James asks me if there were any packages for him on the front porch. I go look out the front door and see a ProFlowers box. I started smiling right away, thinking it was so sweet of him to send me Mother's Day flowers, just a few days early. When I open the box I found a sweet note from him. It said, "Happy Cinco de Mayo! I would propose to you the rest of my life if I had to. Good thing you said yes the first time. -Love James"
This, of course, made me get all teary eyed. I agree, it's a very good thing I said yes. I don't even want to imagine my life without him.

No comments:
Post a Comment