Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Fastest Year Ever

James and I just experienced the fastest year of our life. One year ago today, we met our sweet little Zacky pants. As far as memorable and exciting days in my life, May 11, 2010 ranks pretty high up there. We didn't find out Zack's gender beforehand, so whether he was a boy or a girl was a complete mystery to us. The doctor who was on call told James that he would let James announce to the room what Zack was. So, when Zack popped out, the doctor held him up so James could get a good view. James said it was such a surreal moment that it took him a few seconds to find where he needed to look, and then a few more seconds to realize Zack had boy parts.

I was very indifferent as to what gender I preferred, and I could easily convince myself that I was having a boy one day, and the next day I would be just as sure it was a girl. All I had to do was think of boy names or girl names. I always thought I would want to have one of each, a boy and a girl. But now that I have a little boy, I would gladly take 18 more boys (though it's highly unlikely that we will have 19 children, we are thinking 2 or 3 will be plenty).

We've learned a lot over the past year, and didn't get much sleep. All of the sleepless nights, spit up covered clothing (his and mine), diapers changed, bottles washed, and messes that I never even imagined cleaning up have all been worth it. It's hard to put into words how much I love Zackary. In fact, I don't think it's possible. I hope that he always knows how much he is loved by me, how much he's loved by James, and above all, how much he is loved by God. With as much as I love him, it's pretty incredible to think that God loves him even more.

It's pretty surreal, that Zack is now one year old. Just like after he was born, it took quite awhile for it to sink in that I was really a mom, and that Zack was really my baby. I look forward to celebrating many more May 11ths with our sweet Zackary, and I look forward to watching him grow into the boy and man that God is already shaping him to be.

1 comment:

  1. That Zack boy is a luckly little boy and all of your clothes still look good so the spit up must have come out :)

    ReplyDelete